Speaking of Slazenger is talking about sports. Speaking of sport is talking about golf. A sport where concentration plays a more important role even than physics. And if we talk about golf, we have to talk, necessarily, about the pitch. A green, coastal, quiet land. Scotland. England. Where this sport was born and from where it emigrated to the hearts of millions of people around the world. Let’s talk about golf fields, then. But not of anyone, but also has shelter for years The Open Championship.
First of all, to say that the disposition of these fields is of type links, that arose in Scotland, near the coast, where there were few trees but great pastures, besides the characteristic dunes.
The most important golf fields of The Open Championship history
The Royal and Ancient Golf Club of St Andrews
Being one of the oldest fields in the world, it is located in the town of St Andrews, in Fife. In its beginnings, the field had 12 holes, 10 of which were played in both directions, thus making the course a total of 22 holes. In 1764, the first four holes were joined to form only two, leaving the final number of holes in 18, this number being the official number for all fields. The areas available are:
- Greens: 3 Ha (30.000 m²)
- Tees: 1.3 Ha (13.000 m²)
- Fairways & surrounds: 12 Ha (120.000 m²)
- Semi: 2 Ha (20.000 m²)
One of our legends, Jack Nicklaus, won The Open Championship in this field in 1970 and in 1978. Another legend, Severiano Ballesteros, won it in 1979. One field. Two legends. Our history.
Prestwick Golf Club
Located in Prestwick, South Avrshire, about 30 miles (50 kn) from Glasgow. It is a classic links golf course, built on undulating sand existing on the beach and in the innermost land. It was designed and built with 12 holes. He measured 3,799 yards, of which 578 were on the first hole. In common with other courses, many of the original Prestwick holes crossed the same undulating terrain. Six of the original greens are still used in the current 18-hole course, which also includes three of the original holes: 2nd (Alps), 4th (Cardinal) and 5th (Sea Headrig).
The Musselburgh Golf Club
The Musselburgh Golf Club was formed in 1938. Having lost the Open Championship when The Hon. The old Musselburgh Links were originally seven holes, and another was added in 1838, while the nine full holes were not added until 1870. It is a 9-hole short course, almost as old as the Old Course.